Volunteering at Knapp
Volunteers make a huge difference at Knapp Medical Center and are one of
our most valuable resources. Their kind smiles, helping hands and generous
hearts are powerful means of helping our patients get well. Volunteers
spread a spirit of caring and concern throughout the hallways of the hospital
and clearly impact the lives of families touched by illness.
Every effort is made to match the volunteer’s talents and interests
with an available position.
- Volunteers serve in some 35 different hospital departments ranging from
patient care areas to office work.
- The most visible volunteer placements are at the Information Desk, Outpatient
Lobby and Gift Shop.
- Although many volunteers join our service with the desire for patient interaction,
positions are not limited to these assignments.
- Many positions exist that require little or no contact with patients.
Volunteers help out in many different ways, including:
- Greeting visitors
- Delivering flowers and mail to patients
- Transporting patients in wheelchairs
- Feeding patients
- Visiting with patients
- Stocking supplies
- Answering phones
- Rocking babies
- Escorting visitors throughout the hospital
Volunteer Work Areas
Volunteers may be located in the following areas:
- Information Desk
- Patient Transport
- Coffee Service
- Mail/Flower Delivery
- Gift Shop
- Accounting Office
- Business Office
- Nutrition Services
- Foundation/Development/Public Information
- Laboratory Office
- Junior Volunteers
- Facility Services
- Materials Management
- Hospital Information Management (Medical Records)
- Medical – adult patients
- Telemetry – adult patients
- Women’s Services
- Emergency Department
- Outpatient Services
- Rehab Services
- Imaging Services
Volunteers are asked to work one shift a week.
- Each shift is approximately four hours.
- Weekday, weekend and evening shifts are available.
- Volunteers who would like to work more than one shift a week are welcome to do so.
- Students, Winter Texans, teachers, and those who work full-time, sometimes
- We’re always happy to find a way to work out a meaningful schedule
- All new volunteers receive a half-day orientation to Knapp Medical Center.
Volunteer Opportunities for Students
The Knapp Medical Center Auxiliary sponsors a summer Junior Volunteer program
for students ages 15-18.
- Students must be 15 by June 1 to apply.
- Applications and two recommendations by teachers or counselors are due
back at the hospital by May 1.
Applications are available
here or at the Information Desk or Volunteer Office during the months of March
As the Valley becomes more and more multi-cultural, we do not find it much
of a barrier for volunteers who don’t speak more than one language.
Valley folk are friendly and helpful by nature, and one can always find
a friendly face and someone willing to help with translation.
How to Become a Volunteer
The process of becoming a Knapp Medical Center volunteer begins with the
completion of an application and background screening.
All volunteers are required to purchase their own uniforms. Smocks will
be provided for adult volunteers who are permanent residents or Winter Texans.
- Royal Blue Volunteer Smock or Polo Shirt
- White blouse
- Khaki Pants
- Rubber-soled, comfortable shoes
- Royal Blue vest or Polo Shirt
- White shirt
- Khaki slacks
- Rubber-soled shoes
All new volunteers must attend an Orientation class, which is very similar
to the one all Knapp employees receive.
- Orientation classes are scheduled as needed.
- The Knapp mission, policy, rules and regulations are discussed.
- A tour of the hospital is given.
- The orientation, which complies with federal and state regulations, helps
volunteers feel comfortable with what is expected of them.
- Following orientation, the volunteer is assigned to a specific area and
receives task training from an experienced volunteer or Knapp employee.
- Volunteers are asked to commit to working 4-5 hours a week, sometimes more.
- All students must complete 50 hours of service to receive letters of recommendation.
- After an initial assignment period of 30 hours, the volunteer may be asked
to work more often at the discretion of the department director or the
- Invitation into the Knapp Medical Center Auxiliary is automatic after the
initial assignment period.
If you’d like to learn more about volunteering at Knapp Medical Center,
please give the Volunteer Services Department a call at 956-969-5144.
We’re here to help you find meaningful opportunities to serve both
our hospital and our community.