Visiting Hours and Policies
We encourage loved ones to visit patients and we make every effort to provide
a safe and comfortable environment for our patients and visitors. While
receiving care, patients have the right to decide who may or may not visit,
and those visitors are allowed without regard to race, color, national
origin, language, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical
or mental disability, or socioeconomic status.
Our staff and caregivers understand the important role that visitors and
support persons play and every effort is made to ensure that our patients’
support person is embraced as a valued member of the care team.
- To safeguard the comfort of all our patients, visitors are asked to talk
quietly and leave promptly when visiting hours have ended.
- The visiting times and/or the number of visitors may be limited in certain
circumstances – and vary unit by unit - to protect the health, safety,
and privacy of our patients.
- If visitors are not feeling well or have an illness that can be transferred
to our patients, please refrain from visiting.
- Visitors must follow infection control precautions, keep noise to a minimum,
refrain from taking photographs or videos, and comply with restrictions
on smoking, alcohol and illegal substances.
- Before entering and after leaving your loved one's room, make sure
to wash your hands.
- All children must be in the company of a responsible adult and may not
be left unattended.
Here’s all you need to know about visiting Knapp Medical Center.
General Visiting Hours
Visiting hours in most units are 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. daily.
For the comfort and security of our patients and convenience of our visitors,
the hospital issues a pass to visitors at the Information Desk located
in the Main Lobby. These passes are checked by the security officer at
the elevator and are limited on most floors to four per patient. Please
return these passes to the Information Desk when leaving the hospital.
Exceptions to the visitation policy must be cleared by the Charge Nurse.
- Knapp Medical Center shall respect the patient’s visitation rights.
- Visitation is limited to four visitors at one time.
- Visitors 13 years of age and older are allowed in the patient tower. An
adult must stay with younger children in the first floor lobby areas or
- Please do not bring food to the hospital; we prefer that food not be taken
to patient rooms.
- We ask that you please use cell phones only in waiting areas, the cafeteria
- Visitors should be free of contagious illnesses (runny noses, colds, fevers, etc.).
- Please keep your visits short. Remember that the patient is recovering
from an illness or surgery and needs to rest.
We encourage one adult family member (the care-giver) to remain with their
child throughout their stay at Knapp Medical Center. This will help your
child cope with hospitalization better. The care-giver must be 18 years
of age or older and should stay in the room at meal times to help feed
the child. This is important because most children will not eat when fed
by the nurse.
- The care-giver will use a regular visitor pass during the day and may obtain
an overnight pass from the nursing station.
- A new overnight pass will be issued for each day of the week.
- All other visitors must follow the general visiting hours and obtain a
visitor pass from the Information Desk.
- Only the care-giver may spend the night with the child.
- Sibling Visitation may be granted from 7 – 8:30 p.m. (Please check
with charge nurse)
Intensive Care Unit
Visitation is for an hour at 10 a.m., 2 p.m., 6 p.m. and from 8 –
8:30 p.m. Visiting will be limited to 2 visitors at a time. Due to emergencies,
sometimes these hours are not kept. The family will be allowed to see
the patient as soon as possible following such situations. Due to limited
seating in the ICU waiting area, only 3 visitors per patient may wait
upstairs. Other visitors may wait downstairs and you may switch between
the two areas. You may use the phone in the ICU Waiting Room to ask about
a patient’s condition. Thank you for understanding and for being
considerate of our seriously ill patients in ICU.
Women’s Health Services
Mothers may choose to have their newborn “room-in” with them.
The newborn nursery is also located on the same floor, just a short distance
from the private postpartum rooms.
One visitor/significant other may stay with the mother throughout their
stay. All other visitation begins at 9 a.m. The new baby’s brothers
and sisters may visit from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. only.
Children may not spend the night. We ask that children be in good health
and have current immunizations before visiting the new baby. Others who
wish to visit the new mom must follow Knapp Medical Center’s general
The Medical Records Department will collect information for your baby’s
birth certificate. The legal birth certificate will be available at Weslaco
City Hall approximately six weeks after you are discharged. You may come
by the Medical Records Department from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. one day
after you have given the information for a certification of birth facts.
If you wish to purchase an infant car seat, the Knapp Medical Center Auxiliary
provides this service.
Newborn photos are available at Knapp Medical Center. Please ask your nurse
for an order form. Photographs are delivered by mail two to three weeks
after discharge from the hospital.
Surgical Waiting Area
If you are staying with a relative or friend who is having inpatient surgery
on Floor 2, please stay in the Surgical Waiting Room where the Patient
Update telephone is located. The nurses in the Post Anesthesia Care Unit
(Recovery) will call the waiting area on the Patient Update telephone
when your patient arrives in Recovery from the Operating Room. When the
patient is ready to return to his/her room, staff will stop by the waiting
area to pick you up.
If you need wheelchair assistance, please request one at the Information
Desk or call ext. 2633. You will be provided one upon receipt of a driver’s
license. Upon return of the wheelchair to the Information Desk, the driver’s
license will be returned.